Chest physiotherapy involves group of treatments that are aimed to improve the efficiency of respiratory organ and strengthen its muscles. These treatments also help in removing the secretions from the respiratory system and thus improve the lung expansion. The main aim of the chest physical therapy is to allow patients to breathe freely and intake more amount of oxygen in their body. It also helps to improve breathing by indirect removal of mucus from the respiratory passages of the patient. Chest physiotherapy can be administered for home care services and clinical setup both.
Chest physiotherapy includes:
1) Percussion and vibration techniques:
This involves striking the chest wall with cupped hands in a rhythmic motion. This helps in breaking the thick secretions in the lungs so that they can be removed. The technique of percussion is done on each segment of lungs for two minutes. This process is repeated until each segment of the lung is percussed.
The purpose of vibration is also same as percussion. Vibration can be manual or mechanical. This is done when the patient is breathing deeply. When it is done manually, the person who is doing the vibration places his or her hands against the chest of the patient and creates vibrations by quickly contracting and relaxing arm and shoulder muscles while the patient exhales.
2) Postural drainage techniques:
This uses the gravitational force in draining out the secretions from airways that are smaller in size to central airway where they can either be suctioned out or coughed up. Often, percussion and vibration are performed in conjunction with postural drainage.
3) Neurofascilitation for breathing muscles:
This technique is best used when you’re feeling rested and relaxed, and while sitting back or lying down. In this, you need to place one hand on the chest and other on the abdomen. Inhale air through your nose and move your abdomen in and exhale through your mouth.
4) Exercises to improve lung expansion:
- Deep breathing exercises helps in expansion of lungs and allows air to enter into all the lung sections. This can be done by either sitting on a chair or on a bed in an upright position. It involves inhaling of air and then pushing the abdomen out in order to force maximum mount of air in the lungs. This exercise can be done many times in a day for short periods.
- Another exercise that can help is turning from side to side. This helps in lung expansion.
- Coughing is another exercise that can break the secretions in the lungs to secrete the mucus out.
5) Biofeedback training (thought technology, UK)
This training involves educating patients on ways to control physiological processes like blood pressure, heart rate or muscle tension. We at Phyworld are the first ones to introduce it in India. This is one of the most reliable techniques used.
At Phyworld if you are suffering from any chest injury or chest infection, we can help you in:
- Easing your breathe and improving the oxygen saturation
- Improving the lung expansion
- Overall functioning of lungs
- Draining the excess secretions.
So, schedule an appointment with us today and take the advantage of all these treatments.