The most common sickness troubling young adults and middle-aged professionals today is the back pain. Back pain is one of the most common reasons people go to the doctor or miss work and a leading cause of disability worldwide.
Fortunately, you can take measures to prevent or relieve most back pain episodes. If prevention fails, simple home treatment and proper body mechanics often will heal your back within a few weeks and keep it functional for the long haul. Surgery is rarely needed to treat back pain.
Back Pain Causes
While there are several reasons for this disorder, the following are the most common ones:
- Sitting for long hours
- Bending frequently
- Lifting a heavy weight in an in correct posture
- Sitting slouched
- Excess body weight
- Weak core stability
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Fascia is like a jump suit over the body from head to toe. Even If it’s tight anywhere, head, neck or leg, the body posture adapts to it, Body gets misaligned and it can give back pain
When to see a doctor
Most back pain gradually improves with home treatment and self-care, usually within two weeks. If not, see your doctor.
In rare cases, back pain can signal a serious medical problem. Seek immediate care if your back pain:
- Causes new bowel or bladder problems
- Is accompanied by fever
- Follows a fall, blow to your back or other injury
Contact a doctor if your back pain:
- Is severe and doesn’t improve with rest
- Spreads down one or both legs, especially if the pain extends below the knee
- Causes weakness, numbness or tingling in one or both legs
- Is accompanied by unexplained weight loss
- Exercising regularly is the single most effective factor in keeping your back healthy.
- If your job requires you to remain seated for a long time, ensure that you get up at least once in every 45 minutes and walk a few steps.
- While you are seated, pay close attention to your posture. Ideally use a straight back chair with a low-back support to help you sit correctly.
- Make sure your feet rest comfortably on the ground. If not, please use a small stool under your feet for support.
- Using a firm mattress when you sleep is good for the back as it provides a healthy support through out the night.
- To lift heavy objects, bend at the knees and squat instead of bending at the waist, which pressurizes the back.
- Maintain a healthy body weight.
- Avoid smoking.
For those of you who already have a back problem, consult a physiotherapist / osteopath to diagnose and treat you for the same. Make an appointment with PHYWorld for back pain treatment in Delhi.